Tuesday, August 2, 2005

Baby Kayla's Journey Begins

Kayla Michele Vittek was born at Sutter Memorial Hospital in Sacramento, CA on Thursday, July 28th, 2005 at 1:38 PM by an emergency Cesarean section. She weighed 4 lbs., 15 oz at birth and was 18 inches long.

My water broke early due to an increased amount of amniotic fluid and after an ultrasound of the baby, the doctors scheduled an immediate C-Section saying that the baby wasn't moving at all in the half hour ultrasound. Unfortunately, Kayla was born 8 weeks premature, showed signs of fetal distress and was not able to breath on her own at birth. She was revived and had to be intubated and put on a mechanical ventilator. The doctors and nurses rushed Kayla out of the delivery room without me being able to see her. I told Jeff and my mother to follow the doctors to make sure that Kayla was ok. She was immediately rushed to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) (aka: Special Care Nursery (SCN)), where she is currently undergoing extensive testing and special care for what they are calling 'Floppy Baby Syndrome'. Kayla was not moving at all and had almost no muscle tone. Kayla's red blood cell count has come back too high so the doctors will also be testing her for jaundice.

Kayla at birth - July 28, 2005 1:38 pm

Every day we wait for tidbits of news on her progress but at this time we don't have much information as the testing is still ongoing. They are currently testing Kayla for a disorder called "Prader Willi". It looks like it may be several weeks or even months before we may know what is going on with her.

We are asking for your prayers for our little girl as she struggles to hang onto each breath of life.

I have returned home from the hospital and am recovering quickly from my surgery. I will probably be spending most of the next few months visiting with Kayla in the hospital. As of now we haven't even been able to hold her so we are staying by her bedside to let her know that we are here for her when she awakens and hopefully finally opens her eyes.

Jeff has returned to work but will be commuting to the hospital each night to be with the two of us.

We really appreciate the support, love and prayers that have been coming in and hope that you understand that we are unable to keep everyone updated by phone. Please bookmark this page for future updates and please leave us a message by clicking the 'Post a Comment' link below .

Thanks for your understanding and respecting our privacy at this difficult time.

Lisa, Jeff & Kayla

No comments: